The project “The HEART OF MADEIRA” is a non profit project, which offers physical and psychological support to the community of Madeira; wherever necessary. A task force of specialist volunteers has come together from different backgrounds and from various non government organisations; all with one purpose - to show social solidarity.
The purpose of the project is to:
1) Provide voluntary services in the areas of clean up, reconstruction and building advice; on a structural and architectural level - where privately owned houses were damaged during the freak flood of the 20th February 2010.
2) Distribute clothes and other material goods on behalf of and in collaboration with other organisations and institutions; including Caritas of Funchal.
3) Offer free specialised psychological support to people who have not yet received it
4) Investigate and determine other ways in which “The HEART OF MADEIRA” may more efficiently be able to help people who need it the most at this moment in time.
5)Collaborate with as many varied organisations as possible with a view to: maximising volunteer corroboration, efficiently receiving, handling and distributing material goods in order to distribute to benefit as many people as possible; as quickly as possible.
6) With this intent in mind, “The HEART OF MADEIRA” has already created partnerships with: AURA, Acreditar and The Buddhist Union of Funchal.
7) Publicly announce and advertise what material goods are needed in order to call upon Madeira’s sense of solidarity; and the solidarity of foreign contributors.
8) Collaborate with Madeira´s army, any and or all government institutions, any and or all non government organisations, local fire-brigades including the voluntary sector, any and or all social solidarity groups etc, with the intent to collaborate and not work in conflict or opposition.
We are not politically motivated. Our only motivation is to help our island and it’s people.
The project coordinators are volunteer psychologists who have been working in the army barracks since the 20th and 21st February 2010; Drª Isabel Rodrigues, Drª Carmo Aragão and Drª Venerina Conti.
If anyone wishes to donate furniture or other material goods, or if anyone knows of anyone who needs anything: please contact us.
Please note: We are not handling cash donations but you can donate through the English church in Funchal.